Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day Mantra


"She broke the bread into two fragments and gave them to her children, who ate with eagerness.

"'She hath kept none for herself,' grumbled the sergeant.

"'Because she is not hungry,' said a soldier.

"'No,' said the sergeant, 'because she is a mother.'"

These words, attributed to Victor Hugo, are my Mother's Day Mantra. So many mothers who have come before me, especially mine, would give everything they have for their children. Every day I look to the examples of the women around me, those who are mothers to their own children and mothers to the children around them. Those who sacrifice day in and day out, without any desire to see a return for the service they give.

I count it a blessing to be numbered amongst these women, these mothers. I count it a blessing to have the most incredible mother. She is my best friend and my confidant. And above all, my greatest blessing is my daughter. She is the only reason I am a mother and she is the greatest reason to strive to sacrifice everything.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I would give anything for my son. I strive to be a better person for him. What a blessing he is in my life. The opportunity to be a mother is definitely a privilege not to be taken for granted. I just wish my time with him didn't fly by so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeDawn,
      You are an incredible mother! I can't wait to see you with your little guy, hopefully soon!
      xo Darien

      Delete
  2. Great picture of you Darien and Audette. So sweet. Happy Mama's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie,
      Thank you! Happy Mother's Day to you too.
      xo Darien

      Delete