Monday, May 27, 2013

Mommy's Mantra: Courage is Contagious


Happy Memorial Day. Happy day of memories to all of the families who are celebrating the lives of loved ones who served our country with courage.

As we were playing in the park with cousins this weekend we saw a cute family kneeling down around a bench. Audette, being the curious busy body she is, spotted the family and quickly made her way to the little group. I followed, and as we got closer I realized they were washing and scrubbing a plaque on the ground. Audette joined right in. They were scrubbing clean the memorial plaque and bench to their father who had died in the service of our country. Although our time with them was short, what a lovely reminder of the families who give so much for my family and my freedom. I feel very blessed to be a citizen of this country. Often times we complain and gripe about the current state of our nation or the world, but I really feel we are a part of something good.

This little experience had me thinking of this quote by Billy Graham. "Courage is contagious." This little family and their little act, that we could have easily completely missed, had me feeling a strong sense of pride and love for the blessings that are mine, often times at the expense of others. It made me want to stand for good, stand for hope, stand for love. But more than anything, it had me thinking of my daughter. I want to teach her to be the type of person who will have courage in all she does. I want her to have the courage to pursue her dreams. I want her to have the courage to find passion in all that she does. Most of all, I want her to have the courage to be kind to others. I hope her courage causes other to follow, so that she can help create an even better nation than what we have today. One with more love, more hope and more good. It's in moments like these that I realize raising children is such an important job.

2 comments:

  1. D,
    Your blog is just great - I now log on daily. Even though I am not due until mid September/ early October, i am banking all the tidbits you share. But this post hit home - the last paragraph as you outlined all the desires and hopes you have for Audette; exactly what I pray and desire for Zoƫ, even though she in still 22 weeks in utero. Wonderful post! :) And what a great way to watch Audette grow up as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P,
      Thank you dear! I am glad you related to this post. Any time you want to share your thoughts as a mommy-to-be, I would love to share them here. Your Zoe is going to be one lucky lady!
      xo Darien

      Delete