Monday, April 29, 2013

It's a Wrap


What little kid doesn't love opening gifts? Even babies love getting their tiny paws on wrapping paper and shredding. Audette has always been a fan of ripping something in two. She started with magazines and catalogs at just months old. We're just glad she doesn't eat the paper anymore!


This is a pretty straightforward and simple activity that takes a little time on Mom's part, but offers a fun surprise for any day of the week for your child. I grabbed a couple of books off the shelf that we haven't been reading for a while, all different shapes. Then I wrapped the books in some cheap Target wrapping paper I found in their Dollar Stop section. You can easily recycle and use old brown paper grocery bags or even newspaper, but that may get a little messy on tiny fingers. I also like colored craft tape, also found at Target, to help your little one easily spot places to grab and rip.





After bath time seemed like the perfect moment to let Audi unwrap. And even though we have read these books multiple times, Audette loves to read and it is always fun to find even her old favorites under the wrapping paper.

The books I chose to wrap:
Quiet Loud - One of my personal favorites. We bought it to help teach Audette the places we need to be quiet. She cracks up every time we read it, so I don't know if it is really getting the point across.
Farm Animals - Dad picked this one out for Audette and loves doing the animal noises. Plus, all of the animals are fuzzy, so you get to touch and feel along the way. Audette's favorites are the three little chicks with fuzzy tummies.
Ve, Perro. Ve! - Yes, we are attempting to introduce Spanish. I need to do more research on the best way to teach another language, but I love listening to Eric read this aloud to Audi.
Are You My Mother? - All time classic.
Olivia Dances for Joy - I think Audette is slowly turning in to this sassy little pig who loves to dance. Plus, my favorite colors are red and black and so are Olivia's. Definitely a must have.



I always feel like cleaning time is learning time. It took a little while for Audette to find the paper that got stuck on her little bum, but she was a wiz at collecting all of the paper in the recycle bag.


There's nothing better than ending the day with Dad and a couple of books.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, that and packing has also been a lot of fun for G. Until all of his toys got packed up. But in the meantime, he's had fun putting boxes in boxes taking them out, running around with packing paper, getting in and out of boxes... Taking stuff out of boxes and then back in. I love this stage. Super, super busy! Good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie,
      Packing! So busy with a little one. Hopefully you have a couple of people to watch G while you get everything ready to go. Good luck! We will be UNPACKING Thursday and we couldn't be more excited!
      xo Darien

      Delete
  2. Laird, how can my Mom admire your ears when they're all covered w/ hair? LOL! Miss ya and hope y'all are doing well! RADA VAS IMAM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      You must had read Eric's mind! Right after I took these pictures he said, "I really need a hair cut."
      Thanks for reading!
      xo Darien

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ronnie,
      Thanks! Love your blog. I would love to feature a couple of your ideas sometime too! And keep me posted for when your book becomes available via Kindle!
      xo Darien

      Delete