Monday, June 3, 2013

Mommy's Mantra: Love You, More Than Anything Else



I read a very interesting article last night written by Rebecca Walker, the daughter of trail-blazing feminist and author Alice Walker. Alice Walker is well-known for her recognized work, The Color Purple.

I don't want to discredit the work of Alice Walker, because she is a shining example to many, regarded even as a hero to some, but I found it so interesting to read her daughter's perspective on feminism. For Rebecca, she was raised with this understanding of motherhood:
You see, my mum taught me that children enslave women. I grew up believing that children are millstones around your neck, and the idea that motherhood can make you blissfully happy is a complete fairytale.  
In fact, having a child has been the most rewarding experience of my life. Far from 'enslaving' me, three-and-a-half-year-old Tenzin has opened my world. My only regret is that I discovered the joys of motherhood so late  -  I have been trying for a second child for two years, but so far with no luck.
She goes on to describe a childhood torn between two worlds, between divorced parents. As an adult, she was able to come to her own conclusions that sometimes feminism, when taken to the extreme, can be a harmful thing for society. There is need for both men and women, especially when it comes to family. Motherhood is a gift and being partnered with someone to raise a child is an even greater blessing.

I, too, believe there is an interesting battle going on in our world between feminism and motherhood. For me, it is often an inner battle. I am fiercely stubborn when it comes to my opinions of education, career, independence and the strength of women. I'm sure, it is pretty hard for my husband to live with me sometimes. A lot of that comes from my own mother, who is one of the strongest women I know. Fortunately, unlike Rebecca, I grew up with a mother who also taught me to respect, honor and cherish the role of a mother. In my home, woman was synonymous with mother. The greatest achievement for a woman would not be her love of art, her wild success in her career or even her unparalleled domestic talents, it would be her love for her children and spouse as a mother and wife. This may seem to go against any traditional idea of feminism, but I agree with Rebecca Walker and my mother, what really matters for a woman is her ability to love and to create a happy family.

I would encourage you to read this entire article. I read it at midnight after my family was fast asleep and for some reason, reading it while I knew my loved ones were tucked in, made for an especially emotional and inspiring moment. How grateful I am to be a mother and for my own mother who raised me to believe the true heroes are the women who sacrifice everything for their family.

No comments:

Post a Comment