Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mommy's Mantra: A Tribute to New Fathers

Eric working from home with Audette the day we brought her home from the hospital.
We often give so much credit to the mothers and the work they put in to their children, but I am so grateful that there is a partner in the adventures of raising children. What a wonderful day to celebrate those partners, the fathers. Without them and their love, I don't know what the world would do.

My own dad is one of the greats. He is the type of dad that is a father to everyone. Why do I love him? There are too many reasons to list. But one of the greatest reasons is the standard he set for me when I was searching for a man to become my husband and the father of my children.

Experienced fathers are so important, but there is something incredibly unique about a new daddy. There is so much love, hesitation, sense of responsibility and anticipation. My husband, Eric, became a father January 5, 2012. The next day as we were sitting in the hospital Eric wrote an entry in Audette's journal. I snuck away for a moment today to read what he wrote to her. The entry was at least five pages long and gave every little detail of our day, including how much I was dilated and effaced at every moment of the day and our hospital room number. Sometimes we laugh about Audette's obsession of detail and claim it comes from me, but I'm pretty sure it comes from her crazy father. I won't share all of the entry, but wanted to share a few special lines. Maybe other fathers will relate. If I were to title this entry I would call it:

The day I became a father to the daughter I love and already know so well.
So there we were, both looking at each other like, "This is really happening? I can't believe we are heading to the hospital." 
Dr. Kacedan had come in because your heart rate was dropping and you were so deep in the canal. I was pretty nervous, but tried not to show your mom. 
Normally I'd be passed out on the floor, but this was the most incredible thing I had ever witnessed. 
You were absolutely beautiful. You had great color, cute long hair and some really freaky grey, wrinkly hands. 
We were in love with you. When they laid you on your mom's chest, you looked at her like you knew her and looked at me the same way. 
I want to tell you that I love you more than anything in this world. It's a big responsibility to have the most beautiful girl in the world.
I can't wait to go on adventures with you, whatever they may be: ballet, singing, running for office or rock climbing. I love you more than life. See you tomorrow, or in 2.5 hours when you wake up to be fed.
Some of the things Eric wrote had me laughing, especially when he described my walking around the hospital through my contractions as "an adventure" because "we were exploring every door and passage way". Adventure? Sure. Other things had me in tears as he described his anticipation and almost sense of fear while he held my leg and watched you be born. Although Eric doesn't write down his feelings to his daughter every day, I know these thoughts run through his head and heart as he cares for our Audette. He is a wonderful dad, one of the many trying to do their very best to give their children all of the love they deserve. Hooray for the amazing fathers who have passed, who are seasoned, who are new and who are yet to be. We are so grateful for you.

Eric and Audette at church on Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment