Friday, June 7, 2013

Getting Dressed Game


Audette is a little fashionista. I think it skipped a generation. It also helps that she is the only grandchild in the Carroll family, so she receives extra love and attention from her personal shopper, Grandma Nattie. Audette is a rare bird and enjoys getting dressed (maybe it's her great clothes), but whether your kids like it or not, here is a simple teaching tool that can turn the daily struggle of getting dressed into some simple fun.


First, lay out every item of clothing you will be putting on your little one for the day. Don't worry, we don't usually lay out our clothes picture perfect to get dressed in the morning and these clothes stayed like this for .5 seconds, just long enough for me to take the picture, before Audette had thrown them everywhere.

Then, the game begins! Here are suggestions to execute and get your little one involved:

  • Ask them to bring you individual items: "Please bring me your socks." "Please grab your shirt."
  • Have them pick out the articles of clothing with specific colors: "Where are the red clothes?" "Bring me the clothes that are white."
  • Use body parts to describe the clothes: "What clothes go on your feet?" "Where does this bow go?"
  • If they are old enough to respond with their own words, ask them to describe the clothing: "How does this sparkly bow feel?" "What color are these pants?"
  • Use size to help organize: "Bring me the biggest piece of clothing." "Which of these is the smallest?"



As you ask the questions, and they bring you different articles of clothing, put them on and keep the questions and teaching going. Let them help put clothes on that they can handle. I saw the most darling picture on Instagram of a mom who let her child dress himself. He ended up with his shorts on backwards, but what a wonderful lesson of independence. I probably won't be the mom who lets her child pick out her own clothes for a long time, but at least I can teach her how to dress herself and become a little bit more independent. 

Side note about my not-so-exciting life: The reason for my obsession with picking out clothes for my child, I am a control freak and really like when my daughter and I color coordinate, so I will probably always want to strategically plan her outfits. For those who don't know my family, my mother always had us in matching clothes at a young age and being the oldest meant I was in matching clothes until the 5th grade. Finally, when I graduated to middle school we were allowed to "just" color coordinate every day. Unfortunately for my own children, rather than rebel and be a free spirit, I'm sticking to the status quo and making my children color coordinate, at least. Poor future family and Audette, who will deal with this longer than the rest.

Oh, and don't mind my child's Justin Bieber hair.




Audette's outfit for the day:

  • Guess Jeans collared button-up shirt: My mom saved this from when I was a toddler. So great.
  • Joe's Jeans: You can find these awesome go-to jeans at Nordstrom Rack for less than designer prices. When they are on sale, you can find them for 10 bucks. We have them in three colors and LOVE them!
  • Happy Socks: They primarily make these for men, but I found these darling colorful socks at Target. Target does it again.
  • Toms: Kids Toms are brilliant because they are good tennis shoes and are easy to get on and off. The sizes seem to run a little small if you are in the market. Audette wears a size 4 right now, but fits in a size 5 Toms.





And most of you are probably wondering where in the world we go this adorable red elephant with polkadot ears named Olive! The talented Julie Brady made this for Audette, for her birthday. I don't believe she sells them, but you can follow her incredible crafty tips and sewing techniques on the awesome blog, Doe a Deery.

2 comments:

  1. I love all the language concepts involved in the routine:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magical spells really work!! I never thought there were still honest, genuine, trustworthy and very powerful spell casters until i met the spiritual helper, Olalude Abija. last week he did a love spell for me and it worked effectively and now he just casted another healing spell for my friend who has fibroid and now she is totally free and she is presently the happiest person on earth, she keeps thanking me all day..
    I just thought it would be good to tell the whole world about his good work and how genuine he is, i wasn't thinking i could get any help because of my past experiences with other fake casters who could not bring my husband back to me and they all promised heaven and earth and all they are able to do is ask for more money all the time until i met with this man. he does all spells, Love spells, money spells, lottery spells e.t.c i wish i can save every one who is in those casters trap right now because i went though hell thinking and hoping they could help me.i recommend Abija for any kind of help you want in life. his email address is: spirituallighthealing101@live.com
    if you want to ask me anything my e-mail is: mariambaurice@gmail.com
    Kind Regards,

    ReplyDelete