Monday, July 1, 2013

Mommy's Mantra: America is Beautiful

 

The family was on the road this weekend. I will admit, I prefer travel by air. I am a product of the "ease of comfort" generation. We travel so much that the actual "travel" part is something I like to cut down on. But there is also something magical about a road trip. There is no better way to see this beautiful country we live in than by cruising down open highways or driving through crowded cities.

With a toddler we tend to stop often and try to get creative with our pit stops. Here is a photo of Audette playing in the Salmon River in Idaho. She could have sat along the water's edge for hours. I could have stood with my toes in the water, taking in the beauty around me, for hours too.

As Eric and I were driving, we couldn't help but talk about the majestic mountains, the big sky and the spacious plains around us. Eric loves mountains and we began looking up the names of the peaks we were passing. He turned and said to me as we were talking about Diamond Peak, "This country really is something, isn't it?"

I'm feeling patriotic as we plan for the 4th of July. I have already planned out our outfits every day this week: nothing but red, white and blue. On a more serious note, I am also feeling especially humble because of the sacrifice the firefighters in Arizona made this weekend. So as we discussed our incredible country, I looked up the lyrics to America the Beautiful, words by Katharine Lee Bates.
O beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife. Who more than self their country loved and mercy more than life.
Thine alabaster cities gleam undimmed by human tears.
America, America, God shed his grace on thee till souls wax fair as earth and air and music-hearted sea.
O beautiful for glory-tale of liberating strife when once and twice, for man's avail, men lavished precious life. America, America, God shed his grace on thee. Till selfish gain no longer stain the banner of the free.
Forever grateful for this beautiful land and for so many who give their lives freely to protect and care for it.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous photo! We drove from Dallas, TX to our ranch in Big Sky, MT with a 7 month old... Completely wiped my hubby and I out that we decided we would fly from now. BUT maybe we should rethink our strategy for our trip in September. Curious as to how old is your little one and how far did you drive?

    ReplyDelete